Birth-Day.

As we inch closer to Olivia's birthday, I've been reflecting a little about when she was born. I had written my birth story on my mommy messageboard, and thought I'd share here as well.

Public service announcement***If there are any guys reading, there will be talk of all kinds of girly things. If you don't want to have to bleach your eyes out later, please discontinue reading***

I had my doc appt at 39w 5d at 4:30 in the afternoon. We had talked previously about a membrane sweep at this appt, however I was still pretty closed, and cervix was 0% effaced and very high. Baby had not dropped either. 

Because of baby's size and a few bad symptoms I was having, doc decided to induce. She called the hospital and asked me to go ahead and come back to check in at 8pm the same night. 

So.... I went home, stressed out for about 2 hours, and off we went to the hospital. At around 9:30, i was given cytotec. at 1am, I was checked for the third time, and was still only at a 1cm, and 0% effaced.   No progress at all. 

Around 1:45 I got up to use the bathroom. Upon coming out and getting ready to get back into bed, I started peeing all over my legs and on the floor. I thought that was really weird since I had just went, but when I grabbed some paper towels to clean up really quick, I think my plug came out with it. I called the nurse, who informed me that I just peed on myself and kind of made me feel stupid. Then she did the swab inside, and confirmed that my water had indeed broken. I was given stadol to manage the pain and ended up having 2 doses. 

Around an hour or so later, I had finally dilated to 3. I was given the epidural as my contractions were getting rather strong by that point. Around 45 mins later, I noticed that the epidural was pretty much doing nothing for pain. The nurse told me that it probably didnt take and that they would need to reinsert it and try again. The pain from that was much better than the pain I was already in, so I had it redone. 

It worked great. Around 5 am, I was checked and was dilated to 5cm.... looked like it would be pretty quick now! My epidural wore off shortly after and I received another dose of it, however it wore off... yet again. For some reason, I was having no luck in the pain relief department. lol. 

Fast forward to about noon. I was checked for the millionth time that day...and after 7 hours, I was STILL only at 5cm. I asked for another round of epi, but was told no. I got Fentanyl instead which didnt do much. After I received that, the nurse said that she had been doing this for about 18 years, and she could tell that the baby was large, and may have been why she hadnt moved towards the birth canal, or why I hadn't progressed past 5cm. She called my doctor who would be coming in to talk to me about a c-section since my labor was not progressing. 

Even though I was anxious to meet my baby, I was still nervous, because my mom hadn't gotten there yet. She had drove like a madwoman to make it from Northern Arizona, and I was still waiting on her. She got there a little after noon. 

About 12:20, the Fentanyl was wearing off and I was in so much pain I was crying like a baby. The contractions were coming about every minute or minute and a half at that point. The nurse came and checked me again and said "wow... you're dilated to an 8.... no... 9". so within about 20 or 30 mins, i had dilated 4 cm! She said I still probably had a little time, and she called for anesthesia because it would be soon'ish. 

My mom and Jon's whole family were in the room with me just hanging out. All of a sudden, I had to poop... really really bad. I knew what that meant. My MIL ran out of the room to grab someone... and all the while I was having contractions, and the strongest urge to push... I had to fight really hard to keep myself from pushing. 

Finally my doc had come in for a consultation, and the nurse told her that she may want to get into scrubs, yesterday... lol. It happened so fast. I was getting hysterical because I was feeling no pain relief at all and I knew she was going to be here so soon. I was crying and begging for medicine, because everyone was telling me how big she was going to be, and I was terrified. 

After about 5 mins, I told the doc that I had to push, and that I was GOING TO. So I started pushing... I pushed about 7 times, and Olivia slipped right on out. I guess I had a pretty decent tear, so I got stitches, but other than that, it really was not as bad as I thought it would be.... Maybe that's because Olivia was only 7lbs, 5 oz....   I dont think I would have been as worried if I wasnt told over and over that she was a "chunker" lol. 

So there it is.... my birth story. Not super interesting. :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookworm

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Shame