City Mouse and Country Mouse

No idea if anyone remembers this cartoon from long ago. One mouse is a fancy guy from the city, loving all the perks that come with it. Another is a humble mouse from the country.  I feel like I'm the mouse caught in the middle.

I've lived near Los Angeles practically my whole life, and I was there often. I've also been to New York City a couple of times. Every time I'm in either, I am amazed by the feeling I get.... I'm in the middle of "life". I love the fast pace, the culture, the energy, the diversity, everything. I can see myself living in a fifth floor walk up in some part of NY, and walking out of my front door and being bombarded with sites and sounds of the city. Sometimes I love the go go go!

On the other hand, I am perfectly fine with living in the middle of nowhere on a few acres of land, with my nearest neighbor 10 minutes away. I can see myself living in a one stoplight town, where life just moves at a completely slow and relaxed pace. I can imagine walking into the general store and saying hello and chit chatting with everyone in there because I know them, and they all know me. I want to live in a town where the population doesn't get over a couple thousand.

How to deal with this? Right now, We're somewhere in between. We live in a town around 45 minutes outside of Phoenix, that has a population of about 50,000. There's your obligatory Walmart, a couple fast food places, and some random stores that pop up. I can see the town building up, adding things like a large restaurant chain, new shopping, etc. I do not know how I feel about that to be honest.

Honestly, a slower life is going to be more practical for my family and I. It would allow for much more "time". If one is always on the go, they'll be unable to slow down and appreciate the little things and moments in life. It's about time too. I feel like the last few years have gone by lightning fast, and it would be nice to be able to actually enjoy them.



Today's Awesome: It's awesome that I have a job... as much as I may complain about it. I'm away from home and family, and that is the worst feeling in the world.... but I know that I am contributing and am able to help put food on the table and a roof over my family's head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookworm

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Shame