Decorations

     At the age of 14, I got my first tattoo. It was a small lightning bolt on my shoulder. Nothing major... now it looks more like an anvil.  At 17, I got another small one.

     It wasn't until about the age of 25 that I got another one, and then the trouble began. I. was. addicted. I couldn't get enough. While it may appear that my tattoos are just a random collection of little pictures, each one has a specific meaning and correlates to a time or event in my life. Each one is important to me... even that little anvil on my back.

     When people look at me, they may assume that I am a deadbeat or someone who can't possibly be a functioning member of society. When I'm out with my daughters, people may even assume that I must be a shitty parent. They pay no mind to the fact that my child is always clean, dressed appropriately, and I am very attentive with her. They don't know that I'm college educated and have a full time job. They don't understand that my house is always clean and tidy and that I take care of my responsibilities... well... most of them.

     The fact is, that despite Facebook movements such as "Tattoo acceptance in the workplace" or "tattooed parents", there is a social stigma attached to people who are tattooed, especially heavily tattooed.

     Wake up people... it's 2013. Gone are the days when only sailors and hookers had tattoos. Today they are expressions of art and symbolism. We're not heathens.We don't run amok in our towns rioting and causing chaos. We aren't IV drug users who will break into your house and steal your t.v. and vhs player while you sleep.We're just normal people. Who appreciate body art. We're regular folks with educations, careers, and families.

     The biggest question that I'm always asked, besides the obligatory "Did those hurt", is "what about when you're older"? And for that, I have this to say.


Don't judge me on what you assume I will do with my life. Because I am awesome, and will continue to be. Body art or not. Once everyone realizes that, people with body mods may earn some respect...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bookworm

Shame

What do you want to be when you grow up?