Who said the 2's were terrible?

Oh that's right. Pretty much everybody. I am no exception to this rule.

My little one is growing up ridiculously fast. For a while, I worried about her speech and her lack of talking. She was only saying a few words up until recently, and I couldn't really understand them. Within a week or two it seems, I have realized that I gave birth to a parrot. Every time we say something, she will repeat it, and pretty darn clear.

I've come to discover that while she wasn't communicating, she was watching. She was taking everything in. It only takes her one time to watch something, and then she can do it herself. She does not want any help either. If you try to touch her hand and guide it to help her do something, she'll yell and pull her hand away, and then keep trying on her own. She is definitely independent, that's for sure.

With all this new knowledge, she is becoming more bold. She is testing her boundaries and seeing what she can get away with. For instance, she loves to stand on the top of the couch (thechildhasNOfearwhatsoever). We will tell her no. Physically take her off of the couch, get down to her level and explain why we don't do that, put her in a time out, block off the area with impassable objects (ha ha), you name it. She may even fall off of the couch. Think that stops her? Nope. Within a couple of seconds she's climbing over barriers, fearless as ever, trying to get back up to the top of the couch. She will look at you. Call your name. Smile at you......while standing (again) on the top of the couch.

While I admire her ambition, it gets old really quick. There are things that I do not mind her testing out and doing on her own. However, it's the actions that may result in a trip to the emergency room that I have a problem with, and she just doesn't seem to get it. I understand that taking her entire dinner and swiping it onto the floor is a annoying normal behavior. I understand that taking things of mine and throwing them in the toilet is a gross normal behavior. I must face the fact, that while exasperating, these behaviors are normal boundary testing things. Learning how to react and deal with them is a challenge for me, but I'm coming around. It's a delicate line between picking my battles... and putting my foot down to any negative behavior. I know that they need some of the negative behavior in order to learn right from wrong, and I don't want to be the parent who tells their child no to everything. I mean... it's obnoxious, but who is it really hurting when she throws the lovely meal I've just prepared onto the floor while looking at me and grinning?

It's also hard not to laugh when she does these things, because she's just so damned cute. Everyday, I'm learning how to parent while she learns how to be a kid. It's absolutely challenging at times, but I wouldnt trade these moments for anything. My heart is filled with joy those few minutes when she curls up next to me to watch a show before running off to the next activity or screeches with happiness when we walk through the door, or gives me a huge hug and kiss before bed. This makes every second of unruly behavior...totally worth it.


Today's Awesome: 24 hour stores. Those come in so effing handy sometimes!

Comments

  1. My son (will be two on Sunday) has been scaling the couch since he figured out how to climb up on it on his own. We just let him. He has fallen off once onto linoleum and he went right back up! They are exploring their world and learning every step of the way. It gets frustrating but we can't protect them from everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bookworm

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Shame