Happy Hallmark Day

It's upon us yet again. Another day of forced gift giving. I truly believe that Hallmark invented this holiday which asks men for one day a year, to pay attention and shower their girlfriends, wives, friends, etc. with gifts. Flowers, candies, cards, hell even stuffed animals and pets. What about men though? It's supposed to be a holiday of love and showing someone you love them. You don't show your husband or boyfriend that you care by buying a bouquet of flowers or little heart shaped candies. I believe this holiday has become biased towards women anyways.

While it is a novel little idea to some, I don't like it. Not because I don't enjoy getting those little things, but because I have a wonderful husband who brings me these things constantly. Any day of the year, I could receive a little bouquet of flowers, pretty jewelry (which is few and far between, as everyone knows the only jewelry I wear on a regular basis are my wedding rings), candy, etc.

I'm blessed that I have a husband who is always thinking of me and ways that he can give a little token of appreciation and love. It's not always stuff from the store either though. It's something as simple as a "you had a hard day, I'll cook dinner and clean up, you go rest". Or a foot rub when I complain that my feet hurt. Or listening to me go on and on and on about something stupid, and him just taking the time to listen and offer me his advice and opinion.

I am truly lucky to be married to my best friend who "gets" me. And while I wont turn down flowers or candy.... ever, I don't need it to be reminded of how in love I am. It's the simple fact of waking up next to him, and that goodnight kiss before bed every night that reminds me of how 3 years ago, I made the best decision of my life.

But for those who look forward to this day, Happy Valentine's Day. To me.... it's Happy Thursday. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookworm

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Double Cheeseburger and a Diet Coke, Please!